Peruvian Chicken Waffles With A Cilantro Lime Drizzle
It rained all day yesterday at our house. Normally we would be outside most of the day. Instead we stayed inside and cooked! My daughter wanted waffles for supper. This led to a great new dish, Peruvian Chicken Waffles with a Cilantro Lime Drizzle.
This dish is a keeper!
It does require a bit of time to prepare so I wouldn’t recommend making it on a busy night.
If you have any leftover cilantro lime dressing store it in the fridge for another day. It goes great on stuffed sweet potatoes, chicken salad, black bean burrito wraps etc.
Prep time: 20 min
Total time: 45-60 min
For the Cilantro Lime Sauce:
- 1-2 whole jalapeño chilies, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves (14g)
- 1 medium cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh juice
- 1/2 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Chicken:
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, butterflied
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
For the Waffles:
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs, separate whites and yolks
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Butterfly your chicken breasts by cutting in half horizontally.
- Combine the remaining ingredients together in a small bowl, mix well and rub all over the chicken. Let marinate while you make the cilantro lime sauce and waffle batter.
- For the sauce, combine all ingredients except the oil in a small blender. Blend on high until it forms a smooth consistency. Slowly drizzle in olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Place in fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to broil and place top rack 6 inches from the top of the oven. Line a baking sheet with tin foil.
- Start heating your waffle maker, being sure to oil it before cooking the batter.
- For the waffles, combine dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the egg whites and beat until stiff peaks form. In another bowl mix egg yolks, oil, milk and vanilla. Stir gently and add to your dry ingredients, mixing well. Fold in egg whites, being careful not to overmix. Cook waffles according to manufacturer directions.
- While your waffles are cooking, place chicken on baking sheet and broil for 3 minutes, flip and broil for another 3 minutes. Depending on how thick your chicken is, it may take another 1-2 minutes. Once done, let sit for a couple minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- Assemble your waffles – Place a waffle on your plate, top with chicken and drizzle with the cilantro lime sauce.